Corporate Social Responsibility Policy Statement
At Pasante Healthcare Ltd, and as part of the wider corporate umbrella of the Karex Group, we aim to conduct all of our business activities based on the principles of integrity, fairness and sustainable growth, underpinned by a belief that our staff are our most important asset.
We are committed to activities which promote both the wellbeing of all employees and the communities in which we operate. This ranges from simple initiatives such as the regular provision of fresh fruit in our office, to, at a corporate level, supporting charities and community projects and also individual staff member’s charitable activities. We promote equal opportunities; ensuring safe and efficient working practices and ensure we work with suppliers who uphold similar values.
Our Commitment to People
We recognise that our people are our greatest asset and key to continued growth and success and as such, we are committed to providing careers and working environments in which our people can achieve their fullest potential.
Attracting and Developing Talent
We recognise the need to remain competitive in attracting and motivating high calibre talent as well as creating a work environment where all employees can succeed based on merit. We embrace an integrated rewards strategy that focuses on providing the right
remuneration, benefits, career development and progression opportunities to help our employees to achieve their personal and professional aspirations.
Our talent development activities are focused on building leadership capabilities and fostering an environment that supports sustainable performance whilst promoting continuous professional and personal development at all levels.
We believe that strong personal bonds between colleagues leads to better teamwork.
We have launched the Pasante RESTART programme the focus of which is to engage all employees on what will make a difference to their work experience as we move forward.
A RESTART committee will be set up comprised of representation across the business (excluding Director’s) to highlight issues and look at solutions.
We will continue to organise various team building activities in order to encourage harmonization of the working culture within our organisation.
We also continue to encourage a healthy approach to life with weekly free fruit delivery, exercise classes and the Cycle to Work scheme available to all. We have a commitment to keeping employees informed through regular staff meetings and a quarterly bulletin. Employees can access the Pasante website to obtain general information on the company. Employees are encouraged to discuss operational issues with their line managers and to suggest ways to improve performance and efficiency.
In addition, we strive to:
- Provide clear and fair terms of employment for our employees
- Provide clean, healthy and safe working conditions
- Have a fair remuneration policy
- Ensure equal opportunities for all present and future employees
- Encourage employees to develop skills and progress in their careers
- Carry out proactive appraisals and performance reviews
- Ensure that staff are aware of the Company’s policies on insider trading, bribery and inappropriate gifts, money laundering and whistle blowing
- Encourage a harmonious working environment with zero tolerance to bullying or to any form of harassment relating to an individual’s sex or other personal characteristics
PHL is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and diversity in employment and recognises that this is essential to ensuring the success and growth of the organisation. To this end, we make every effort to select, recruit, train and promote the best candidates based on suitability for the job; to treat all employees and applicants fairly, regardless of race, sex, marital status, age, nationality, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation or disability; and to ensure that no employees suffers harassment or intimidation.
It is our policy to provide employment and to make reasonable adjustment to accommodate disabled persons wherever business requirements will allow and if applications are received from suitable individuals. Should an existing employee become disabled, every reasonable effort will be made to ensure that their employment can continue on a worthwhile basis and that career opportunities are available to them.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
Our vision is to accelerate growth in our business whilst remaining mindful to safeguard our long-term future and conduct ourselves in a sustainable way. Demand growth continues to outpace the available resources so it is critical that we succeed in optimising our consumption whilst prioritising sustainably sourced materials. We continually strive to improve our environmental performance by assessing our current situation and undertaking cost-effective improvements.
At a corporate umbrella level as part of the Karex group efforts to optimise our energy consumption are a key objective. In line with this all of Karex manufacturing facilities have been accredited the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System certification. Continual efforts are put forth to improve resource efficiency, reduce waste and resultantly drive down costs.
The Karex facility in Thailand has been successfully accredited the ISO 50001 Energy Management System certification and is in the process of being certified Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (“LEED”) by the US Green Building Council. We have also implemented schemes to incentivise suppliers and customers to adopt more environmentally friendly packaging such as those that incorporate recycled paper and/or Forest Stewardship Council (“FSC”) certified materials. In addition to this, we have also worked with our suppliers and logistics providers to devise transportation methods that consume less packaging in order to reduce our carbon footprint. At present, over 75% of our paper based packaging materials are being made using recycled pulp.
International condom regulations prescribe a minimum amount of condoms that are required to be subject to destructive testing leading to a significant amount of rubber waste being generated. This waste is treated in our plants using specially designed rubber recycling facilities to produce usable dry rubber sheets. These sheets are not only reusable in other rubber industries but they also eliminate the need for landfills or chemical disposals that are extremely damaging to the environment.
At a local level, following the recent re-roof of the Lancing facility, our energy consumption is expected to reduce in the following areas:
Heating by >50% annually over previous figures.
Lighting by >60% annually over previous figures.
Our commitment continues to include:
- Integrating Environmental considerations into business planning, facilities design, operating practices and training programs.
- Adopting programs and practices which meet or exceed applicable government regulations, and industry codes or standards where relevant.
- Focusing efforts and resources on preventing incidents. In the event of an injury or contaminant release, we will respond promptly in a manner which protects employees and public health and safety, and which mitigates environmental impact.
- Investing the necessary time and resources to provide employee training. Employees will be provided with the tools to work to a safe and high standard of conduct which minimizes the risk to themselves, fellow employees, and the environment.
- Management setting goals and establishing standards and work procedures, which support our commitment to improved environmental performance.
- Following a waste management decision process aimed at finding ways to reduce, reuse and recycle materials before a final disposal option is selected.
- Educating consumers, the public and the government regarding the environmental profile of our products and type of operations.
- Reducing the environmental impact of products, packaging and manufacturing processes in partnership with our customers and suppliers.
- Reducing write off and disposal of redundant, out-dated stocks by improved forecasting and working with our customers.
- packaging and paper resources by working with suppliers to optimize print runs.
- Continue to promote the Cycle to Work Scheme to enable staff to tax efficiently purchase bicycles for cycling to work.
- Encouraging employees to ensure that where required only the relevant parts of emails are printed, double sided and that all waste is disposed of in secure bins, 100% of which is recycled.
- All cardboard packaging waste is recycled where possible for onward use in warehouse operations.
- Working closely with the company design department to ensure that consumer packaging is appropriate and optimal.
- Ensuring that shipper configurations are designed for maximum pallet utilisation both for internal and customer storage, and to reduce shipping costs where possible.
- Recycling stationary & office supplies, such as toner & batteries where appropriate.
Our Commitment to Communities
Through our contracts with governments, NGOs and tender organisations, we have improved access to affordable and reliable condoms as well as helped to encourage the use of condoms around the world. Our passion extends beyond achieving our business objectives, we aim to build meaningful relationships with our customers and communities, positively impacting those in need through fundraising, volunteering, donations and by building awareness. A number of initiatives take place worldwide under the corporate umbrella of the Karex Group, whilst local initiatives to Pasante Healthcare Ltd. remain part of a key focus for the business. including supporting local charities through social events and fundraising activities.
Our Commitment to Health & Safety
As Part of Karex, the world’s leading condom manufacturer, we are committed to observing the highest health and safety practices in order to ensure our employees are able to have confidence and comfort in their working environment at all times. We consistently educate new staff and conduct refresher training for our employees to emphasise the importance of adhering to the most stringent of safety procedures.
We constantly evaluate our safety programmes covering a range of procedures including but not limited to emergency response, first-aid, evacuation and fire-fighting. We also take special care to ensure that all our employees have access to appropriate medical facilities and safety equipment.
At a local level, it is policy of Pasante Healthcare Ltd to create and improve standards of Health and Safety, which will lead to the avoidance and reduction of risks and to ensure that the Company complies with all Health and Safety legislation. The Health and Safety Policy; Health and Safety Guide and Procedures are displayed on all site notice boards.
The Safety Committee actively implement the policies, standards and procedures on site supported by the Safety Officer and Operations Director, and meets on a bi-annual basis to review activity and policy.
The Safety Officer reports annually to the Operations Director where the reports are reviewed and appropriate improvements are made. PHL makes every reasonable and practicable effort to provide safe and healthy working conditions on site. It is the duty of all employees to exercise responsibility and to do everything that they can to prevent injury to themselves and others. The policy and procedures are communicated to employees through contracts of employment, employee handbook, procedures and guidelines, bulletins and notice boards and training as appropriate.
Employees participate in a range of lifestyle & wellbeing benefits including:
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Medical Plan including access to various initiatives and EAP
- Fitness and Wellbeing programme
Our Commitment to Industry Participation
Pasante Healthcare Ltd are committed to Industry Participation including:
- Undergo regular Regulatory and Technical audits to ensure the ongoing compliance of our products with all relevant international standards.
- Undertake regular supplier and sub-contractor audits.
- Undergo regular customer social audits.
- Maintain a Code of Conduct For Ethical Trading.
Our Commitment to Our Supply Chain
In building a sustainable business we recognise that it is imperative that we grow with our suppliers. At an umbrella corporate level, Karex have worked with local suppliers in Malaysia and Thailand to improve standards of quality, delivery timing and cost competitiveness
throughout our supply chains. In doing so, not only have we created jobs and developed expertise for related industries in Malaysia and Thailand, we have also expanded their exposure to the standards set by the international business community.
At a local level we continue to seek to be honest and fair in our relationships with suppliers and subcontractors including:
- Pay suppliers and subcontractors in accordance with agreed terms.
- Have a policy not to offer, pay or accept bribes or substantial favours.
- Encourages suppliers and subcontractors to abide by the same standards and principles.
- Commit to the improvement of labour standards within the supply chain by undertaking social audits on its suppliers, carried out by customer approved 3rd party auditors.
MAN010/04 – Corporate Social Responsibilty – Issue date August 2019